[Ti] Heat up ...shut down-need information

T Molnar tam at em.ca
Wed Oct 26 12:52:09 PDT 2005

Hi,

Recently I had a minor water spill on my desk, very little water
actually, however I didn't
wipe up under my powerbook and a small film of water accumulated under
the machine.

I didn't notice this until the machine actually shut down and would not
start again regardless of my varied efforts.   Feeling somewhat worried
I dried up the
powerbook bottom and tried restarting.  But despite the HD spinning
there would was no screen activation, no chime, I couldn't eject the
disk in the drive etc..

I checked the battery area..all was dry, other areas on the bottom
didn't seem to have been penetrated by water in any way despite
water's great ability to capillaried up into small crevices.

Greatly worried I went to bed thinking if it dried out overnight maybe
it would start.

Thankfully it did start up just like normal the next morning and has
been fine since.

So.....
can any one throw some light (not water please) on this?

Did the water film prevent proper cooling?  Is there some type of
"trip" mechanism that shuts down an overheated processor?
There a rectangular insert in bottom....did water perhaps get up there
and disrupt some electronics that needed to be dried out to work?

Having avoided "disaster" I am interested to know what might have been
going on.

thanks
tim

tim.molnar