[Ti] Ti upgrades

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 23:00:04 PDT 2005

>on 05/09/14 14:12, ~flipper at lord.flipper at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Whoa... that looks perfect me...minus the cost , for now. With a dead firewire
>> path in the sluggish-seeming 667, it sounds too good to be true. I think Apple
>> wants almost double that to do a straight across mobo swap. Interesting.
>> Extremely so.
>
>Remember to factor in the possibility that there may be bugs which
>occasionally cause your system to crash under certain conditions.  As a
>small enterpreneur myself, I very much respect what Sonnet is trying to do,
>but computers are complicated and often even the most competent engineers
>need a lot of testing to find all the bugs.  The 68030 upgrade which we put
>in our Mac SE was only reliable if we set an extra wait state on the
>processor.  The G3 upgrade which we put in our Performa 6360 caused me to
>lose a lot of sleep with its unpredictable crashes.  The Vimage G3 card
>which I used in my Powerbook 2400 was great.  It's a bit of a gamble.
>
>Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the first-hand relation of caution. Fortunately, in a rather left-handed manner, i am prevented from doing anything in a hasty fashion, but I will be looking into reactions to the Sonnet's actual usage, not just dwelling on 'how great it will be". thanks for the balance there.

brian S