[Ti] Re: PowerBook competition

jonarmpit at mac.com jonarmpit at mac.com
Wed Sep 21 16:39:26 PDT 2005

On Sep 21, 2005, at 4:01 PM, Chris Olson wrote:

> The only way you're going to get the buying public to buy your
> overpriced hardware is if you have a compelling reason to justify
> it.  Let's assume that compelling reason is Mac OS.  Now you have
> to get the message out there, which Apple doesn't do.  All I see on
> TV is iPod ads.  When the G5 was introduced all I saw was some poor
> dude getting blown out the side of his house and smacked into a
> tree.  I have yet to see Apple actually advertise Mac OS in recent
> times.
>
> OTOH, I see Microsoft advertising Windows all the time with their
> "discover the world of software and devices that run on Windows"
> ad.  I see IBM with their ThinkPad ads on TV where the klutz in the
> office knocks over the water cooler trying to impress the office
> babe.  And the other one with the guy at the airport with the
> bionic finger on the ThinkPad's fingerprint sensor.  All I see from
> Apple lately is dancing silhouettes.  How much you wanna' bet 75%
> of the computer buying public don't even know Apple *sells*
> computers anymore?

I don't recall any TV ads for Apple products other than the iPod
recently either, but I have seen an ad for Tiger in Newsweek (one of
the few non-industry mags I read). The ad is a full 2-page spread and
each page has a picture of a Cinema Display. One showing the results
of a Spotlight search for 'soccer' with the caption of 'Find stuff.',
the other showing some Dashboard Widgets with the caption 'Find out
stuff.' Underneath the two displays are a few lines of marketing
speak: Introducing Tiger, the worlds most advanced operating
system...etc...etc..' and a list of it's 'advanced' features.

jon