[Ti] Re: PowerBook competition

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Wed Sep 21 17:52:26 PDT 2005

On Sep 21, 2005, at 6:40 PM, Steve Wozniak wrote:

> Basically, you don't go to a store and compare PC's to Macintoshes,
> or, as in this case, vice-versa. You have other strong reasons for
> which platform you will buy.

There's a big "BUT" involved IMHO.  If you want to increase your
market share significantly you're going to have to get people to
"switch" the thinking on their strong reasons.  Windows is the
defacto standard in desktop operating systems.  The majority of
computer buyers will buy Windows *because* it's the defacto
standard.  You can go to OfficeMax and select from a multitude of
Windows applications for your Windows computer while the shelves are
void of any Mac applications.  And all the other things that go with
being the defacto standard.......

So now you have a person who's thinking he/she may want to
"switch" (unhappy with Windows, friend has a Mac and likes it, or a
multitude of other justifications).  The first step is going to be
some sort of comparison, not only of the software, but the hardware
that runs it.  The price is perhaps the single most significant
comparison that's going to be made.  The Mac comes with built-in
"sticker shock" because the hardware is vastly overpriced compared to
today's PC hardware.  Gone are the days when you could say "if you
equip your PC with everything a Mac comes with standard it'll cost
just as much".  This new Lenovo notebook is living proof that's not
the case anymore.  So now justify why Mac OS and it suite of
applications is worth $700 more to the average computer buyer.

I think the big difference is that Apple commands 20+% margins on
their hardware while PC builders live with *much* lower margins than
that.  That's why I said originally that Apple, IMHO, needs to do two
things;

1.)  The PowerBook is due for an overhaul in design.  It's showing
its age and even the best designs eventually become outdated.

2.)  Apple needs to restructure their margins on their hardware.

IMHO, Apple doesn't need to do things like buying Steve (Jobs) a
Gulfstream V as a token of "appreciation".  For pete's sake, I'm a
pilot and plane owner and my Seneca III gets me around just fine.
Maybe not quite as much "class" as a Gulfstream, but it's got a full
IFR panel, full de-ice including hot props and screen, and the
engines are even turbocharged so I can fly with the big boys at FL180
if I want to.  So it's not pressurized and I have to suck on O2 above
10,000 MSL.  Big deal.  The point is, how much money gets spent on
stuff at Apple, like a G-V, that couldn't be served just as well by
charter or commercial services?  Or even something more practical if
you want a private aircraft?

Apple dumps a considerable amount of their profit into R&D, but if
they're really interested in breaking 5% on market share, IMHO they
could afford to spend a little on education of the general public,
and advertising.  I've seen that they have no problems spending it in
other places.
--
Chris