[Ti] Re: PowerBook competition

Ian Collier ian.collier at mac.com
Thu Sep 22 10:51:42 PDT 2005

Er, looks like you got a bit carried away Chris. According to the
link you posted the entry level model (at $799) has an "Ultrabay
Enhanced CD-ROM" - ie not even a CD burner!

A DVD burner is a $279 option on that entry level model.

Also the graphics is an Intel graphics system that poaches system
memory (up to 128MB) for video memory - a setup that is guaranteed to
provide absolutely wretched graphics performance.

And it has just a 40GB hard drive apparently without the option to
upgrade that. The 12" powerbook comes with 60GB.

This is a low end machine - barely in the ball park of an iBook in
spec, let alone a Powerbook.

Oh, and just 256 MB RAM (vs 512 in the Powerbook). Going to run XP
really well once we've handed over 128MB to video memory.

It may well be well built of course.

--Ian

Ian Collier                      ian.collier at mac.com

+44 (0)121 472 2666        (cell) +44 (0)7866 510075