[Ti] Re: PowerBook competition

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Sep 22 11:29:52 PDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 12:51 PM, Ian Collier wrote:

> Er, looks like you got a bit carried away Chris. According to the
> link you posted the entry level model (at $799) has an "Ultrabay
> Enhanced CD-ROM" - ie not even a CD burner!

The web price you're looking at is suggested retail.  In the PC
business you buy a couple semi loads for a large chain, you get them
at very low margins from a distributor, and you can set your own
price, rebates, etc..  Retailers in the PC business don't have to
answer to the Mother Ship like they do with Apple Computer.

The model I looked at was a "t", not an "m".  Price on it was $799 at
the dealer in Rice Lake, and they had two in stock that had been pre-
ordered.
--
Chris