[Ti] Re: PowerBook competition

T.L. Miller tlmiller at mac.com
Sat Sep 24 04:10:44 PDT 2005

On 9/24/05, at 10:27 AM, Dr Trevor J. Hutley,
<TrevorHutley at consultant.com> said:

>I agree with your point about advertising.  Advertising and
>education, I think are needed.
>If YOU think there is little advertising, and you are in the 'home
>country', imagine how it is elsewhere.

Apple has to spend its ad money where it gets the most bang for the
buck. Breaking into a new market requires big bucks! Maybe iPod sales
will trigger some new Mac business as it seems to do elsewhere.

>Here in Saudi Arabia, there is a new generation of Saudis who know
>practically nothing about Apple.

From MacNN this week was a link to this: "Arab Business Machine Ltd.
(ABM), Apple Computer Inc. Independent Marketing Company covering the
Middle East region is gearing up in a big way for the year's biggest
technology event, GITEX 2005." See <http://www.ameinfo.com/68304.html>

>I think that it is unrealistic to expect that Mac-OSX-for-Intel will
>stay on Apple hardware.  I believe that there will be a huge driving
>force to make it run on 1/2 price (Dell, Lenovo) laptops.  This force
>will at least activate hackers, but probably will be strong enough to
>drive Apple policy, even if reluctantly.

Since most experts think of Apple as a hardware company that produces
software to help sell its hardware, too much hacking that allows OS X to
run on Dells & Lenovos and Apple's existence could be at risk.

Don't forget that comparing a new generation machine from one company
against an old generation from another (Sony, Apple, HP) is only valid
awhile -- especially in high-tech products. Apple's next generation will
likely not be as cheap, but probably will be competitive. Again, Apple
is not in the commodity business and is making money at what they're doing.

Tom Miller
"The only time we see the middle of the road is as
we run from side to side." R.O.Clark