[Ti] Will Apple drop its OS?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Apr 6 15:44:06 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 1:42 PM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> It crashed just because you were asking it to Open 40+ applications
> at the same time? Shame on Apple. They should allow us to do that
> without crashing.

My Mac mini PowerPC 1.25 Ghz w/512 MB RAM does it without a hitch.
So does my old PowerBook G4/400 Mhz w/1.0 GB RAM.  Not fast, but it
completes the task.  So does my PowerBook G4/1.67 w/2 GB RAM.  So
does my dual PowerMac G4 w/2 GB RAM.

Since virtually every PowerPC G4 or better Mac I've ever tried it on
is capable of doing it, I expect the new stuff to do it too.

BTW - this "test" is a test of how well the kernel handles VM and how
well it can allocate cpu resources on many different threads or tasks
running simultaneously.  And here's were I rest my case; Mach/XNU is
a RISC kernel - never designed to perform on CISC hardware.  This
"test" also taxes disk thruput handling both read/write operations
simultaneously, video performance and overall stability of the
operating environment (file system, etc.).

In the real world, one-off benchmarks don't mean diddly squat when
you have users that expect a machine to remain responsive and useable
on other tasks while rendering H.264 video in the background.  You
can have machine A that can render video 2 seconds faster than
machine B, but machine A becomes unresponsive during the render job
while machine B allows the user to simultaneously complete another
task.  In modern computing, machine A makes the benchmark numbers but
is useless in workflow performance comparisons.
--
Chris