[Ti] Will Apple drop its OS?

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Thu Apr 6 21:53:38 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 9:11 PM, Chris Olson wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2006, at 10:12 PM, Glenn L. Austin wrote:
>
>> It's strange that you say that, since Mach was designed to run on
>> CISC hardware
>
> Unlike IA32, PowerPC does not have a call or jmp instruction.
> Execution flow is controlled by one of the many branch instructions.

And PowerPC doesn't have an instruction to get the current PC
directly, to do that requires a branch to the next instruction saving
the link register and a load of the link register into a general
purpose register.  MachO (the native binary format for Mac OS X) uses
PC-relative constants.  Yes, that's right, every reference to a
constant requires a branch, which causes a flush of the instruction
pipeline.

On the other hand, x86 has a direct "load relative to PC" instruction
which doesn't flush the instruction pipeline -- so MachO is much more
efficient.

NeXTStep was released on 68K and x86, and later ported to PPC as
"Rhapsody" which became the core of Mac OS X.

I was at Apple during the NeXT integration.  And you were where...?

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver