[Ti] Will Apple drop its OS?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Fri Apr 7 05:36:12 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 11:53 PM, Glenn L. Austin wrote:

> On the other hand, x86 has a direct "load relative to PC"
> instruction which doesn't flush the instruction pipeline -- so
> MachO is much more efficient.

Ah!  Now you're beginning to understand.  Mac OS X contains an
abomination of a RISC kernel with a CISC ABI that tries to built on
the perceived advantages of a microkernel and capitalize on the speed
of a monolithic kernel.  Didn't happen.  Every commercial and open
source Unix or Unix-like kernel in existence kicks XNU's a$$.  On x86
it really gets its a$$ kicked.  So Apple tried to fix the abomination
with GCC performing -mdynamic-no-pic optimizations, which hard-codes
the data addresses in the code, so the result is roughly equivalent
to the CFM ABI in OS 9.

A runtime ABI does not a RISC or CISC kernel make.  And neither did I
make any assertions that OS X was even *designed* correctly.  Merely
that XNU is a RISC kernel ported to x86.

> I was at Apple during the NeXT integration.  And you were where...?

Writing BSD kernel code.  Hiring Jordan didn't fix your design
abomination like you'd planned, did it?
--
Chris