[Ti] Re: New subscriber with some questions

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 10 08:23:40 PDT 2006

As has already been mentioned - go buy memory from Crucial.  I used
to work at an Apple Authorized Service Provider, and they quickly
became the only manufacturer I would trust, just by seeing how
frequently other memory would fail.  Unfortunately, when RAM isn't
working properly, it doesn't keep your computer from running - often
causing lasting damage to your files.
As far as slowness, it could be due to lack of memory, but it can
sometimes also be related to having bad memory.  Personally, I would
recommend a few things once you get some new memory; first, boot from
an OS X Install CD and run Disk Utility; it's in one of the menus.
Then, I'd recommend an Archive and Install of OS X; this will install
a new version of the OS, but keep all the files from the old version,
in case you need something that was previously installed.  You may
then need to reinstall some applications, though most applications
will be fine.  You may also lose some of your preferences.
Hopefully, however, that will fix some of your problems.  You might
also consider clearing out the Preferences folder in your home
folder.  (/Users/username/Library/Preferences)  Some of those may be
corrupt, preventing applications from launching.  You can choose only
the applications that are causing problems, or you can get rid of
everything - you can test your applications by creating a new user in
the Accounts System Preference pane, and launch the application there
- if you no longer have troubles with a particular application,
there's something corrupted in your User folder.

HTH,