[Ti] MacBook Pro 17" released

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Wed Apr 26 10:26:36 PDT 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Lisbeth Zachs wrote:

> Please visit an Apple shop and test the MacBook with PS  the way
> you're using Photoshop if you think you're doing more extreme work
> and demanding than stressed advertisers. :-)

Unfortunately I consider Photoshop a "lightweight" as far as
applications go.  In engineering we use custom developed apps that
are 32-bit with 32-bit AltiVec subroutines optimized for the G4, and
64-bit subroutines optimized for the G5.  They won't even run on a
MacBook Pro.  But they do run on a PowerBook G4, making the PowerBook
G4 infinitely faster, for us, than any MacBook Pro will ever be.

Our CAD, FEA and data analysis software is not being ported to
Intel.  It's being ported to linux on PowerPC  :-)
--
Chris