[Ti] G4 Hinges Needed

Lisbeth Zachs zachs at swedenmail.com
Sun Aug 27 13:27:30 PDT 2006

27 aug 2006 kl. 18.54 skrev Mykel:
> My G4 Ti hinges are broken and I need to fix them.
----------
You should be able to fins a lot of info searching on Google. com
from _Hinge PB G4_ or similar wordings. Here follows my collection of
info on the subject. I have taken the liberty saving links and tips
given on this list, when other have had the same problem as you have.
If not OK, please let me know.

********
<http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/customer/product.php?
productid=16323&cat=250&page=1&XCARTSESSID=601180f42cd4439db00baad523abe
16a>
Alt Tiny URL: <http://tinyurl.com/htjzo>

***********
Useful information on broken tibook hinges: the first comment on the
outrageous cost of repairs, the last is a tutorial, with pictures,
that shows how to repair a broken hinge yourself.

<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/01/10/16/>
<http://www.photo.is/titanium.html>

*********
There are screws around the edges of the tiBook frame for the screen
but the display housing is still glued together, so it's normally
replaced as a complete unit.

You can try taking the pieces apart, but it's not easy:
<http://www.powerbooktech.com/knowledge,type-4.htm>
Click on the links down on the bottom of the list: Display Housing,
Display LCD, Display Gluing.

***********
<http://macdan.n3.net/>
has a link with "TiBook display take-apart, re-assembly and various
other related info"
or this direct link
<<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/tibook_display.html>>
************

It is pretty straight forward.
1 Remove the bezel by prying it off. It is glued on, but will come
off. Someone had a recent post on doing it efficiently. (Same plastic
piece as will open an iPod apparently- my remark or se next saved info)
2 Remove the screen, there are two screws that hold it in on either
side. Disconnect the flat wire cable at the back of the screen and
fish the two wire power cable thru.
3 Get the old hing off any way you can. This is the hardest part. I
use careful brute force with a small screw driver.
4 Use a dremel tool or similar to clean off the old glue
5 I use a 2 part epoxy to set in the new hinge, holding it in place
with clothes pins. let it cure for 24 hours with out moving it to
ensure a strong bond
6 reassemble
7 I use contact cement, applying to both bezel surface and receiving
end on screen, allow to dry then assemble
********

On my latest broken-LCD-acquisition I used a piece of thin stiff plastic
which I slid around the edges. It popped the bezels off cleanly with
virtually no damage. The plastic I used came from some sort of
blister-packed product. I cut up the clear plastic into a strip maybe 2"
wide x several inches long. The plastic is stiff enough to be slid along
under the bezel but not so thick it bends up the metal.

************
Look for more information in the archieve of this list in the
beginning of May 2004 under the subject "Oh Fate - how cruel"

************

When the first signals appeared of hinges braking it was concluded
that it was important to treat the hinges like you do hinges on a
kitchen cupboard (The ones that have screws adjusting hight and
debt). You should be careful getting them very even.

This mean that you have to look at the tibook in closed stage and
make certain the little space between the bottom and the lid is
exactly the same all around. If not the suggestion was to loosen the
hinges a little.

My first saved link doesn't work any more but I found the same kit here:
<http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/index.cgi?
command=dispitem&type=sku&sku=10563>
http://www.radtech.us/Products/Glides.aspx#Titanium

It may be smart to search google.com for "Tiglide" to check for best
price and possibly a nearby supplier for you.

Lisbeth in Gothenburg
<http://homepage.mac.com/holisticum/> updat 050215
<http://www.got-a-mac.org> medlemssida för Got-a-Mac (Mug in Gothenburg)