[OT] Re: [Ti] VPNs and browsing over an encrypted tunnel?

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Thu Feb 2 02:34:09 PST 2006

Mikael Byström wrote:

>Robert Nicholson said:
>

>>So what solutions are there that can provide an encrypted tunnel when
>>browsing non SSL websites?
>>
>>Let's say my domain is already hosted on a linux server that I control.
>>

>If you want to get outside your own domain, you must have internet
>sharing on at the machine at the other end.
>I use SSH connections when I get my mail, also from outside my server,
>but VPN is probably better.

Technologically VPN and SSH use very similar technologies to create the
secure tunnel. VPN just has a lot more flexiblity (choice of algorithms
etc.) and is also designed for making 2 networks appear to be on the
same network ( which can be on either side of the internet).

One way you could achieve what you want to do is to have a host that you
connect to (via an encrypted tunnel) which is running a web-proxy such
as squid. You would then point your browser at that proxy through the
tunnel.

However , if the page you are accessing is an ordinary http, at some
point in the chain your data will need to be sent in cleartext, so you
should definitely think twice before sending any sensitive information
even via this method.

The main advantages of this method is that hosts on your local network
can not sniff your network data very easily. This says nothing for the
security of the host you are accessing. If that host has been rooted by
some hackers  your data would never be safe there.

--
Tarik Bilgin