[Ti] Internet connection drops between sessions

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Fri Feb 3 10:43:54 PST 2006

When I sleep my mac in the evening I also switch off my DW6000
satellite modem. In the morning I switch the modem back on and when
all LEDs are lit, I wake the computer. Invariably I have no Internet
access on my Ethernet port. The Network Prefs pane shows that it is
active and it also shows the correct connection addresses which are
supplied by the ISP. But the dot in front of the Ethernet port is
amber rather than green and it has the notation that the port is
active but not connected to the Internet because it has an ’internal
address' But I don’t see any internal address, just the IP address
that it has acquired via Auto DHCP which is always correct. Hitting
the renew button does nothing.

Can anyone tell me why it is acting this way?

I tend to run around trying this and that with no real idea of what I
am doing, but which always eventually gets me connected and running
again (unplug the cable, reboot computer, reboot modem, etc.)

I should also explain that whereas I used to have a wireless router
system when I was actively employed (now retired), I have decided to
bypass it and just hardwire a connection between my computer and the
modem and simplify things.

Any help would be appreciated.

jg