[Ti] Wireless cards that work with G4 Powerbook

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Sat Feb 4 14:22:02 PST 2006

At 3:47 PM -0600 2006.02.04, Chris Olson wrote:

>I used to have a Verizon card for my PowerBook that worked well (with the drivers already in OS X).  It provided about double the speed of dialup connections, however the Verizon coverage didn't fit my travel patterns.

In many cities the Verizon card gets 340 kbps, in others only about 125 bps.

The Verizon card driver was built into OS X 10.2.8 and beyond (I provided my own card to the engineers to get this done). But that driver only works with an older Verizon card. Apple has a newer driver coming out but it only works on a second generation Verizon card while the one you can currently buy in Verizon stores is a 3rd generation one.

I hear that a Verizon card for the new card slot of the MacBook is coming out as well, and that Apple will have drivers for it. I can't guarantee any of this. But the Verizon card is the most useful accessory I've ever had for my PowerBooks. In fact, I'm on a cruise ship using my Verizon card from my cabin right now.

One advantage of this card is that it is compatible with a new Verizon service, not deployed much yet, that provides 1.5 mbps. Another advantage is that this card gets it's power from the computer - you don't have to run your phone battery down.
--

-- tv is wake zone