[Ti] re: Help Request for TiBook 800MHz LCD problem

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Thu Feb 23 12:05:27 PST 2006

Rafe Day <rafe_day at nerdshack.com> bemoans:
>My 800MHz Titanium G4 suffered the hinge break problem that seems to plague
>these machines.  A couple of days after the hinge broke, the display
>developed color problems (as if the R signal was no longer received), then
>spotty pixellation, and finally a blank gray screen.  Some of the wires in
>the LCD cable had became severed as a result of the hinge break.  I
>installed steel replacements for both hinges in an attempt to forestall a
>reoccurrence and also replaced the LCD cable.
>
>When I restarted the machine, still a blank gray screen -- though it still
>drives an external monitor.  All connections appear properly seated, the
>backlight is obviously working, and the computer is sending a video signal,
>just not to the onboard LCD.
Sounds kinda like a fried PMOS power FET chip for the LCD on the main
logic board:
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/tifriedchip.html>

I ended up replacing that chip at Q23 with one I swiped from another
(otherwise dead) MLB, which cured the problem. Question was where to get
just a replacement chip, scroll down this discussion on Apple Fritter for
(hopefully) some enlightenment:
<http://www.applefritter.com/node/4594>

and here's some of the advice I got:
- TSOP-6 package
- P-channel
- Max current (the more the better), Si3443DV is 4A
- Max voltage, 20V is enough!

I got a suggestion for a specific part (though I haven't checked it out
myself):
ST Micro STT4PF20V

hth,

dan k