[Ti] Intel Mac Mini?

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Fri Feb 24 13:39:59 PST 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Mike wrote:

> FWIW, I've found the transition from my PPC based Macs to the Dual
> Core Intel chip as seamless as any transition I've made from one
> generation of Macs to the next.
>
> On Feb 24, 2006, at 11:25 AM, John Griffin wrote:
>
>> If you follow the constant flow of reports of bugs and other
>> assorted problems and issues in MacFixit and other such sites, you
>> should feel fairly content and secure with the old PPC
>> architecture. We all knew (and a few actually admitted) that he
>> shift to Intel would cause problems and this is precisely what is
>> happening. Stay with your PPC machines for at least a couple of
>> years and let others try and sort out the problems.

To add (plus subtract, multiply, and divide) to these comments, I
will have to say that while the PPC platform is solid, I think Apple
is making sure things go smoothly during this initial transition
phase. There have been some issues (FrontRow "tearing" for instance,
lack of battery benchmarks on Apple's site, "weird" MacBook Pro
upgrade), but so far nothing terribly surprising has happened, and
the tearing issue has supposedly been fixed in software.

As usual, the Intel Macs are Rev A machines...and with Rev A machines
comes the usual "Rev A" machine stigma (ie, might have bugs).
However, the Rev A machines are not in a totally different enclosure,
and as far as mobile computing goes, they seem to handle the heat
well enough without fans being a nuisance (ie, iMac and PB, and most
likely mini, are built with laptop processors).

John