[Ti] strange blinking start-up icon...!

Dr Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Sun Feb 26 11:54:37 PST 2006

The last two times I re-started my (OCT-03) Al-book....

I almost immediately get a blinking (or is it pulsating?) white
square in the centre of the screen, about 2 x 2 cm (3/4" square for
you non-metric types) with a blue world embedded in it.

After twenty seconds, it changes to what seems to be a small system
folder, with a blinking question mark.

Another twenty seconds, and the start up proceeds as normal (light
grey screen, grey apple, rotating line) and everything is OK.

The end-point is normal, but the route seems strange.  I have run
applejack and all known utilities.

Does anyone have any idea of the significance of these icons in the
start-up procedure?
Anything I can do stop them?
I have never seen them before.

regards,  Trevor