[Ti] G4 800 Ti: Screen goes "dark"

Timothy D. Naegele tdnaegele.associates at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 19:58:02 PST 2006

Mikael Byström said:

> Are you sure you don't have active corners on for the screensaver? It's easy to slip over there with the trackpad and if done quickly and the machine is working on other stuff the display may go dark for quite a while before the screensaver starts.
>
> What helps for me is closing the lid or pressing Option-Command-Eject or Option-Command-Power to put the machine to Sleep and then reawake it.

Thanks so much, Mikael.

First, I don't have a unique screensaver; I only have the screen
pattern that comes with all PowerBooks.  Second, how would I know if I
had "active corners on"?  Third, how would I inadvertently "slip over
there"?

zefred adds:

> Had the same problem... it was the inverter board. You can get one on ebay for cheap, or at http://www.ifixit.com for more money, but it's guaranteed.
>
>Then you'll have to change it yourself, which is pretty simple if you
know your way into electronic parts, pretty hard otherwise...

>but you might have a friend who knows... otherwise it's the local
apple technician and the hard bill...

> :o)
>
> Good luck!

Thank you too, zefred.

I went to ifixit.com, and my Ti 800 was purchased in May of 2002, so I
assume it is a "G4 Titanium DVI," and that I would need to buy such an
inverter board from them (see
http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=231&cat=&page=1).

. . .

Is there a way to reconcile Mikael's recommendation with that of
zefred?  In other words, should I go out and purchase an inverter
board, and should I simply do what Mikael has suggested?

It occurred twice earlier today, as I mentioned, and perhaps three
other times in the last week or so, but never before that.  If it is
the inverter board, will it go "dead" at some point in time so that I
can't use the PowerBook, or is it simply a nuisance?

Thank you both for your help.  :-)

Tim Naegele
www.naegele.com