[Ti] Re: Good advice!

Henry Kalir kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Sat Jan 14 01:22:45 PST 2006

Chris Olson wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2006, at 9:50 PM, Thomas Fulton wrote:
>
>> So you are saying I should spend my whole computerized life in a
>> Windoze environment just because one software  product won't port  to
>> the right OS........Amazing case of dramatic missed the point
>> syndrome, eh?
>

> It depends on what that software application is.  Because otherwise
> you could have an amazing case of dramatic missed the boat syndrome.
>
> Example:
> If you're an engineer, and your main application is AutoCAD I'd say
> you're loony of you try to tell me "it's the only Windows application
> I use so I'll run it in VirtualPC on my Mac, or run it in WINE on
> Mandriva Linux".  You belong on a Windows machine.
>
> Business and Enterprise works the same way - companies buy software
> solutions and get support from vendors like AutoDesk or ESRI.  They
> don't rush to the Apple Store and buy 250 Macs for the engineering
> dept just because they think they're better than Windows.  Then throw
> their hands in the air and complain because ESRI ArcView isn't
> available for Mac.  They buy a software solution from ESRI to do the
> job, and they compare many different vendors and bids before making a
> purchase decision and signing support agreements.  The software
> solution dictates the operating environment required to run it, both
> client and client/server.
>
> The fact is, you can call it Windoze, M$, or what ever other little
> grammatical slurs you want to throw at it, and it doesn't change the
> fact that the business world runs on Microsoft software, and millions
> upon millions of people use it every day to get the job done.
> Usually without any of the horrible consequences that platform
> evangelists like to portray.  The Mac is merely an alternative
> operating environment that works well for maybe 3-5% of the computing
> population.  The day I can go to my local OfficeMax and see as many
> software titles on the shelf for Mac as I do Windows is the day the
> Mac will be a VIABLE alternative for the general computing population.

Chris,

So glad to see you're coming round! That's precisely what I've been
saying here time and again! Hence, I really didn't care for the IBM 970
CPU which got us nowhere as far as getting more people to use the Mac
and hence finding more software titles on the shelf for the Mac!

I hope that the MacIntels will change that - slowly but surely!

Best,

Henry