Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable)

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sat Jan 14 08:10:01 PST 2006

On Jan 14, 2006, at 2:22 AM, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:

> Uh ... I dunno about the rest of you, but my wife's Windows machine
> - the one her office insists on her using - crashes, seizes up, or
> is just plain annoying, at least *ten* times more often than my
> TiBook.
>
> I'd say that definitely makes my TiBook more of a VIABLE
> alternative for general computing!

In my experience Windows XP is every bit as stable as OS X.  Most of
the problems with Windows is cheap x86 hardware and having to support
every chipset known to man.  If it ran on PowerPC under the same
limited hardware support set as Mac, then the hardware and operating
system would be as reliable as perceived on Mac.

So if you think OS X would be any better if it tried to fill Windows'
shoes, you're badly mistaken.

All I have to do to crash my Mac is plug in my (unsupported and
Windows only) Epson printer, then try to print to it.  Instant kernel
panic every time.

Or network two Macs with AFP and start a file transfer.  Then
disconnect one of them.  Watch the other one lock up.  Can't force
quit Finder, can't log out, can't shut down, can't do anything.  All
you get is the spinning beach ball of death.

I can go on an on with at least a dozen examples of how to crash your
Mac doing normal everyday stuff.
--
Chris