Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable)

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Sat Jan 14 10:52:26 PST 2006

On Jan 14, 2006, at 8:10 AM, Chris Olson wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2006, at 2:22 AM, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:
>
>> Uh ... I dunno about the rest of you, but my wife's Windows
>> machine - the one her office insists on her using - crashes,
>> seizes up, or is just plain annoying, at least *ten* times more
>> often than my TiBook.
>>
>> I'd say that definitely makes my TiBook more of a VIABLE
>> alternative for general computing!
>
> In my experience Windows XP is every bit as stable as OS X.  Most
> of the problems with Windows is cheap x86 hardware and having to
> support every chipset known to man.  If it ran on PowerPC under the
> same limited hardware support set as Mac, then the hardware and
> operating system would be as reliable as perceived on Mac.
>
> So if you think OS X would be any better if it tried to fill
> Windows' shoes, you're badly mistaken.
>
> All I have to do to crash my Mac is plug in my (unsupported and
> Windows only) Epson printer, then try to print to it.  Instant
> kernel panic every time.
>
> Or network two Macs with AFP and start a file transfer.  Then
> disconnect one of them.  Watch the other one lock up.  Can't force
> quit Finder, can't log out, can't shut down, can't do anything.
> All you get is the spinning beach ball of death.
>
> I can go on an on with at least a dozen examples of how to crash
> your Mac doing normal everyday stuff.

None of those sound like "doing normal everyday stuff."

BTW, I've been able to BSOD Windows XP just unplugging SUPPORTED USB
devices (with drivers provided AND SIGNED by Microsoft).  It's gotten
better in the last three or four months, but I still don't unplug
those devices because there have been no updated drivers.  I've also
had Microsoft drivers render hardware inoperable, and something that
MS does prevents the vendor drivers from installing or working
correctly without a complete reinstall.

WXP is significantly better than previous versions of Windows, W2K
included.  For those people who absolutely NEED to use Windows, it's
the best option.  However a lot of "Windows recommendations" come
with a big "string" -- generally the "the recommender is going to
provide support, for a cost" string.  However, a lot of companies' in-
house support groups are recommending AGAINST updating to WXP.  Why?
Because it requires LESS support than other versions of Windows!
(empire-building and job security)  I personally would ask anyone
recommending Windows if they would also provide full, FREE support
for at least the next year.  Watch how many "back off" that Windows
recommendation, or refuse to provide the support.

I won't even mention the FUDsters who state that they can get (read:
build) a stable, usable Windows machine for significantly less than a
Mac.  Having designed Intel machines and built quite a few myself, I
know the truth: Wintel machines are only marginally less expensive
than Macs.  When you factor in all of the additional software and
time you will need to keep your Wintel machine running and secure,
that "savings" is now "additional cost" (unless, of course, your time
is worth nothing -- but then why are you getting paid to work?).

Oh, and there are other CAD/CAM packages besides AutoCAD.  Just
because it is the most installed (hence, the "defacto standard")
doesn't make it the best, just the most used (and I have friends who
AutoDesk).

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver