Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable)

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sat Jan 14 12:29:38 PST 2006

On Jan 14, 2006, at 2:04 PM, Ronald Woodland wrote:

> My point here is when these same people come to me because they
> want to learn how to shoot and edit video or make cool DVDs and i
> tell them that the best software to do that runs on a Mac, they
> aren't willing to accept that.  They are willing to suffer using
> inferior software on a flawed platform rather than choose the best
> for the task.

Absolutely.  DV editing is an area where the Mac excels.  But I'd
like to point out it's not because Mac OS is superior to Windows.
It's because of superior software applications that are bundled with
OS X for free.  Software that would cost probably upwards of $500 or
more on Windows to gain the same functionality in DV editing.

But DV editing is an example of a vertical market.  The vast majority
of computer users don't do DV work, even as a hobby.

> Apple has worked very hard to be compatible in a Windows world.
> They have succeeded (and are thriving) because they offer a premium
> experience and innovative tools.

Exactly.  Apple serves a high-end highly-profitable niche market.
While exclusive niche markets aren't good at generating big market
share numbers, they can be good at generating impressive bottom line
financial figures.
--
Chris