[Ti] Re: More MacBook Pro Questions

Lisbeth Zachs zachs at swedenmail.com
Mon Jan 16 03:14:40 PST 2006

16 jan 2006 kl. 07.47 skrev Timothy D. Naegele:
> Yes, but Apple told me then that to have Classic, I would have to do a
> clean install of OS9 and erase everything that I had just reinstalled.
---------
What Apple didn't do was to format the new HD so that an OS 9 system
could be installed and started from. But you should be able to
install the Classic version within OS 10 even if they made that silly
mistake of not checking the OS 9 option box. Or so I thought. Anybody
certain about it one way or other?

> Thus, the idea of doing a clean install to put in Classic has not been
> music to my ears.  That is why I was hoping that the new MacBook Pros
> would come with it pre-installed.
--------
By now you should have learnt to have a backup HD and so you may just
as well do a Carbon Copy Clone of your disc to an external HD or a
SuperDuper backup or any other backup application you choose. Check
that you can start from the external backup and then format your
internal disc, Check the OS 9 alternative when formatting and then
clone your material back from the external HD. Yes it may take an
evening or so when you cant reach your Mac, but you dont have to sit
their waiting. I think CCC at least reports what time the cloning
will take and you can take a healthy walk in the meantime. :-) Or
someting.

> Yes, I understand that, but I have some CD-ROMs that require
> Classic to run.
---------
Do they require Classic or is it that they need a Mac started in OS
9? There is a difference there. What happens when you insert them. Do
they try to start the Classic you don't have or simply get rejected?

If you really don't want to do a backup exercise (which you really
ought to do in my opinion) I think you should test to do the Classic
install from your  OS 10 discs unless someone on this list can say
for certain that even that alternative requires a checked OS 9 system
at the HD format.

> Office/Word for the MacBook Pro will be
> compatible with documents created on all earlier versions of Word
> for the Mac -- hopefully.  :-)
All versions would certainly be to ask too much. I doubt they even
handle 5.1 and lower than that I can't even imagine they will.

Lisbeth in Gothenburg
<http://homepage.mac.com/holisticum/> updat 050215
<http://www.got-a-mac.org> medlemssida för Got-a-Mac (Mug in Gothenburg)