[Ti] OT Classic install & CCC Was: More MacBook Pro Questions

Timothy D. Naegele tdnaegele.associates at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 23:39:56 PST 2006

From: Lisbeth Zachs <zachs at swedenmail.com>:

>Apples description here:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301719> Shouldn't do
any harm to try.

>And you were charged though they failed? My experience from people
using a Norwegian recovering company is that they only charge for
success.

Not so with DriveSavers.  Needless to say, I will never use or
recommend them to anyone.

>If CCC or other back-up programs is over you head I don't understand
what you mean by "everything is backed up" above.

Disks and iPod.

>Go to http://www.versiontracker.com and download CCC
CarbonCopyCloner.  Make certain you have a formated, preferably
Firewire, HD available and connected. Start the CCC and do as you're
told. Choose the external HD as Target and your internal as Source
and Go!  When done you should be able to choose the external OS X-
version as Startup disk in your System preferences and restart. If
the external then behave just as your internal you have a perfect
clone and backup of your disc.

>You can then safely with Disk Utility format your Internal drive and
mark the disk to be OS 9 capable. After that comes possibly the
tricky part. If you simply CCCs the drive content back again and then
install Classic support there should be no problem. If you however
want to install OS 9.2.2 first you should still be able to CCC the
content from the external disc but you have to read the CCC
information if you afterwards have difficulties logging in to your OS
X on your internal disc. CCC prefer to be copied between cleaned disc
and obviously your internal will not be clean if you have installed
OS 9 on it.

>See Q17 and its answer in the help section of CCC if this problem
occurs.

Thanks.

>Try Apples own suggestion in the first link I gave you above and see
if it works before you do all the formatting and Copy Cloning above

I went to the Apple page that you suggested, and found one that may be
even more on point because it contains the message I received.  It
seems to be the simplest way to do it.  See

Thanks again, Lisbeth.

Tim Naegele
www.naegele.com