Personal experience (was: Re: Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable))

Ardeshir Mehta ardeshir at mac.com
Tue Jan 17 12:24:26 PST 2006

On 17-Jan-06, at 2:35 PM, Chris Olson wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2006, at 1:04 PM, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:
>
>> That said, does anyone know of any experiments done in a proper
>> scientific way (with double blind studies, etc., etc.) to find out
>> which is the more reliable OS - Mac OS or Windows?
>
> No studies, but literally millions of deployments speaks for itself.

Does it really? Or is it marketing that is the cause of these "many
more millions of deployments"?

Speaking as a certified scientist and an amateur logician, I
*personally* would not accept "many more millions of deployments" as
proof of anything ... except, of course, of many more millions of
deployments. But then again, maybe that's just me.

> Windows is the hands down winner.  Windows application developers
> have been able to deploy solutions and move from revision to
> revision pretty much seamlessly over the years, with only minor
> glitches aka Windows XP SP2.

I was speaking of *reliability*: not of moving over "from revision to
revision". OIOW, I was wondering how many times the average Windows
user has to stop the work he is doing to solve computer problems, as
compared with the average Mac user.

> Apple, OTOH has jumped ship too many times.  The transition from
> Apple to Mac made all Apple software obsolete.  Then we went from
> 68K to PPC, then OS 9 to OS X, then PPC to Intel, each time adding
> complexity, development cost, and alienating legacy users and
> developers.

I dunno about that. I can still use all the OS 7.2 software I bought
for my Performa back in 1997!

> Reliability in Enterprise and business has way factors than just
> technical excellence.

No doubt. But I was just wondering in my post which platform is the
more reliable, not which is the technically more excellent. (I *know*
that the Mac OS is technically more excellent than Windows!)

Cheers.