[Ti] OT Classic install & CCC Was: More MacBook Pro

Timothy D. Naegele tdnaegele.associates at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:47:08 PST 2006

From: Mikael Bystr?m <mikael.bystrom at punkass.com>:

> There's no reason of course for installing OS 9 disk drivers just to run
> classic within OS X. Classic means just that, running OS 9 applications
> inside OS X (implicating the presence of that OS on disk). For this you
> don't need OS 9 disk drivers. If Apple support actually suggested you
> need then that is beyond me. I don't trust Apple support myself.
>
> One neat way to use OS 9, if you use Classic as rarely as I do, is to
> install it on a disk image. OS X will remember which image and mount it
> before running it. This way I don't need to have it on my already crammed
> system disc ( I really need one of those 120GB discs soon) and also my
> minimal installation is ready to be put on other machine if needed. I'm
> assuming the machine in question came with OS 9, so you wouldn't break
> any license agreements by doing so. If not, I suppose one needs to get a
> license for the other machine too before moving it to there. It's very
> possible to get one on the secind hand market cheaply, but it must come
> with all the papers and be a retail version, not just an OS disc that
> came with the machine.
> One of these days Apple really should give OS 9.2.2 away for free,
> without rights to free support of course.

Thanks, Mikael.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying: create a disk image and
install OS9 on it.  I have the OS9 disk, so presumably that can be
done -- although I wasn't aware of that until you mentioned it.

Then, after removing the OS9 disk from the PowerBook, you are
suggesting that any disk which requires OS9 can be inserted into the
laptop, and OS X will remember which disk image OS9 is on, and will
mount it before running the disk that I want to use.  Is that correct?

How long does the disk image remain?  Does it have to be saved?

Tim Naegele
www.naegele.com