Personal experience (was: Re: Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable))

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Tue Jan 17 19:07:54 PST 2006

Chris Olson said:

>with only minor glitches aka  Windows XP SP2
"minor" showstoppers? That Windows users typically put up with much more
crap than Mac users is proving nothing.

>Apple, OTOH has jumped ship too many times.  The transition from
>Apple to Mac made all Apple software obsolete.  Then we went from 68K
>to PPC, then OS 9 to OS X, then PPC to Intel, each time adding
>complexity, development cost, and alienating legacy users and
>developers.
As if this wasn't also so with Microsoft and their products. Apple have
done a far better job at keeping users happy during these transitions,
than MS have.
Developers is a completely different thing and have Apple could have done
much better there. But we do have very good and innovative developers for
Mac OS X, don't we? We just need more of them in more areas. But how to
do that is a subject for another list.

>Reliability in Enterprise and business has way factors than just
technical excellence.
Good point.

"We get a million calls a month saying, 'Hey, this product is confusing."
  --  Bill Gates, on the volume and tone of Microsoft's feedback