Personal experience (was: Re: Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable))

Loren luteslinger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:59:09 PST 2006

On 1/17/06, Robert Ameeti <Robert at ameeti.net> wrote:
> At 1:35 PM -0600, 1/17/06, Chris Olson wrote:
>
> >Apple, OTOH has jumped ship too many times.  The transition from
> >Apple to Mac made all Apple software obsolete.  Then we went from
> >68K to PPC, then OS 9 to OS X, then PPC to Intel, each time adding
> >complexity, development cost, and alienating legacy users and
> >developers.
>
> And in that time, Windows has gone from Windows, to Windows 3.0, to
> OS/2, to Windows 3.1, to NT, to Windows 95 to Windows NT4, to Windows
> 98, to Windows XP. And each iteration of the OS brought new versions
> of software.
>
> Every computer a user bought would most always bring with it a new
> version of their software. As often as users purchased computers,
> they too wanted new versions of their software. Rarely would a user
> reinstall their old version of software when they purchased a new
> computer with a new OS.
> --

Mac works best, better than all of them, whenever the
environment/users are all Mac all of the time (UofT back in the day)
and a Mac minded paradigm. What I've experienced is that after a year
or so, those Macs slowly begin making a B-line toward the storage
closet. When you upgrade Windows, you upgrade (always readily
available) software, with us, we had to up grade hardware too. I can
load Windows Any on a PII if I really had to. Upgrading a studio is
even tougher to keep up, budgeting computers that are 10% of the
production but 70% of the costs.