[Ti] panic - 10.4.4?

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 24 15:08:15 PST 2006

Well, it does seem likely that something in the backup could be
causing problems; obviously, make sure you are using the very latest
version of your backup software.  Some people have also found that
installing the Combo OS updaters over the newest version will
sometimes resolve problems seen after installing the Delta
installer.  You might try using a different drive.  Especially, if
it's possible, something on a different interface.  Changing to
Firewire 400 might be enough to stop it, or you could see if a USB
2.0 drive has the same problems.  Or, just downgrade to 10.4.3.  ;-)
Of course, you might want to run DiskWarrior on both drives (or at
least Disk Utility), and repair permissions too.

You can find the 10.4.4 Combo installer here:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate1044combo.html

Personally, I haven't had any major problems; I synced my 2G iPod
once with no problems, and I use a FireWire EyeTV every day...  But
no backup software or external drives.  I did have an issue with
SystemUIServer hanging about once a day; I deleted its preferences
and rebooted and it hasn't had any problems since.  However, it could
have also been caused by my iPod; some people have seen
SystemUIServer hang with an iPod plugged in, but start working when
the iPod is removed.  I didn't learn of that issue until after I took
the iPod back to my office, and I haven't tested it since.