[Ti] Apple Remote with older PowerBooks?

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Mar 11 06:31:06 PST 2006

That's not terribly likely, though not necessarily impossible.  The
lens on an IrDA port is different from a normal remote control; IrDA
is designed for short distances and moderately high speeds; your
everyday remote is designed for long distances and very low speeds.
This makes using a remote difficult, but a few pieces of software
existed 10 years ago or so to overcome that limitation.  However,
since very few machines that came with IrDA are compatible with OS X,
I doubt there is any software.  For that matter, I'm not even sure
that any OS 9 software works with IrDA and remotes.

If you really want remote control, I think you'd probably be better
off buying one from Keyspan or some other company; it'll save you
lots of time (though it'll require a dongle).