[Ti] Applications that Won't Open on 17" PowerBook

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 22 09:34:44 PST 2006

Sounds to me more like you just inherited the problem from your
10.3.3 installation, rather than redeveloping it.  An easy way to
test whether it is a user preference related problem is to create a
new user, log in, and see if the applications work there.  If they
do, there's something in your user Library folder that is corrupt.
If they don't, then it's more system-level.

Another thing to consider is that problems like this can often stem
from bad RAM.  If you added RAM to your computer, especially if you
went looking for whatever is cheapest, consider removing it and
replacing it with high-quality RAM.  I'd recommend Crucial the most;
they're owned by Micron, who is a very good memory manufacturer.  As
long as they use Micron chips on their products (they sometimes use
other manufacturers when supplies are tight), they're excellent
quality.  Samsung easily makes the best memory, but doesn't sell it
to the public.  Some companies will sell you Samsung chips for a
premium, however I learned through experience that even the PCB that
the chips are mounted on can cause your memory to fail, so I'm
waiting to hear a lot of good information about some vendor that
definitely has good PCBs too.  Places to avoid: anything that you're
buying because it's the lowest cost, and especially 1-800-4-Memory,
aka Coast-to-Coast.  Hands down, the WORST quality memory you can buy.