[Ti] Macbook pro version 2...

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Mon May 8 20:48:40 PDT 2006

Your "master CPU chart"???  Did this come with your crystal ball and
magic wand, or did you have to buy it separately?

I guarantee you that a G4's maximum core temperature is nowhere near
44°C.  For starters, most commercial grade electrical components have
a specified operating range of 0 to 70 degrees C.  Unless you've
managed to engineer something rather unusual, you're not going to get
a 44°C junction temperature in 70°C ambient.

Next, the maximum junction temperature for both the G4 (including the
7447A) from Freescale as well as the G5 (including the 970FX) is 105°
C.  The maximum junction temperature for the Intel Core Duo is 100°C;
a negligible difference.  Now, this has a lot of room for local hot
spots, a safety margin, measurement error, etc; after all, the G4's
storage temperature range goes up to 150°C; this is a typical maximum
limit for semiconductors.  Most have a specification of 125°C max to
give them some margin; since CPUs consume so much power and are
typically made with the smallest, most advanced process available,
they get even more of a margin.

As far as power consumption goes, the following values are direct
from manufacturer datasheets of the maximum power draw at the highest
speed listed: G4 at 1.42 GHz: 30 Watts.  Single-core G5 at 2.2 GHz:
76 Watts.  Intel core duo at 2.16 GHz: 31 Watts.  It's not quite as
low as the G4, but it's close...  AND it has two cores.  For that
matter, the G5 listed above running at half frequency (1.1 GHz) in
Nap mode (the lowest of the low-power modes) at normal voltage still
sucks down 37 Watts at its maximum.

As far as various temperature measurements go, I won't profess
knowledge; I no longer work for an Apple Authorized Service Provider,
so I can't tell you with any certainty what is or is not going on in
the world of manufacturing them.  However, I can tell you that it is
almost certain that they are using better temperature sensors than
they have previously.  And by better, I mean more about improved
location than anything else.  The temperature gradient in a computer
can change by 100 degrees in just millimeters, depending on how it is
designed.  If you put your temperature sensor in the wrong spot, it
doesn't do much good.  Typically what a designer will do is place the
temperature sensor in as good a location as possible, then do testing
with a thermocouple or other device while testing alpha versions of
the hardware.  You might find that the location of the temperature
sensor is 40° cooler than the junction temperature, then throw in an
extra 7° safety margin: presto, you'd get a G5 that won't go above 58°
C without the cooling system kicking into high gear.

I am continually amazed that you can flap your mouth about such
things, Chris.  I really wish you'd give it a rest - I have a lot to
do this week!  ;-)