[Ti] Exchange Account - from MAIL 2.0.7

Dr Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Wed May 10 07:44:44 PDT 2006

Dennis - THANK YOU for your very helpful and precise comments.

On 10 May 2006, at 15:51, Dennis Fazio wrote:

> On May 10, 2006, at 6:40 AM, Dr Trevor J.Hutley wrote:
>
>> The College has just changed some of its hardware/IP framework,
>> and it seems that my Exchange account in Mail no longer works.
>
> I think they may have turned off IMAP support or something along
> the path, like a firewall, is impeding access to the IMAP port
> (port 143). IMAP has to be enabled and available for Apple Mail to
> use the Exchange server.

As I understand it, 8080 is currently the ONLY port open to the
outside world....... so that seems consistent with what you state above.
Is there any security risk for hte College if they open port 143 ?
Skype has also stopped working.  I presume that s also a port issue.
As I have reported before iChat has never worked, and I assumed that
was also a port issue, but was never able to track it down.....

> You can't create a new Exchange account because I think Mail only
> supports one Exchange account at a time.

I did not know that.  Thanks.  Any idea why is there such a
limitation ?  I have about six POP mail accounts, so I just assumed I
could have more than 1 Exchange account.
Now I know that is not the case. Thanks.

> You can check on your own if you can get to the IMAP port by
> opening Terminal and making a telnet connection to the mail
> server's IMAP port:
>
> telnet <mailserver.college.edu> 143
>
> substituting the DNS name of the mail host or its IP address for
> the <...>
>
> You should get something like:
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN]
> <mailserver> IMAP4rev1 2000.287 at Wed, 10 May 2006 07:45:56 -0500
> (CDT)
>
> If you get through, enter quit to disconnect. A response indicates
> you have a good connection path and you then need to look at
> authentication problems.

I can only do that from inside the College, I am presuming, as from
here (home) I get time out from Terminal when I try it.
I will try it tomorrow, and let you know what I find.

Thanks again for such a lot of help.

regards,  Trevor