[Ti] Exchange Account - from MAIL 2.0.7

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Wed May 10 05:51:06 PDT 2006

On May 10, 2006, at 6:40 AM, Dr Trevor J.Hutley wrote:

> MAIL has (had?) the capability of accessing Microsoft Exchange
> servers and mail.  I have been doing that for more than one year,
> without problem.
>
> The College has just changed some of its hardware/IP framework, and
> it seems that my Exchange account in Mail no longer works.
>
> All the configuration is correct, as far as the IT support can see.
>
> I decided to create a new Exchange account in Mail 2.0.7, and see
> if that would resolve the issue.
>
> However, that option no longer exists !  I can select .Mac, POP and
> IMAP, but there is no exchange option any longer.

I think they may have turned off IMAP support or something along the
path, like a firewall, is impeding access to the IMAP port (port
143). IMAP has to be enabled and available for Apple Mail to use the
Exchange server.

You can't create a new Exchange account because I think Mail only
supports one Exchange account at a time.

You can check on your own if you can get to the IMAP port by opening
Terminal and making a telnet connection to the mail server's IMAP port:

telnet <mailserver.college.edu> 143

substituting the DNS name of the mail host or its IP address for the
<...>

You should get something like:
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN]
<mailserver> IMAP4rev1 2000.287 at Wed, 10 May 2006 07:45:56 -0500 (CDT)

If you get through, enter quit to disconnect. A response indicates
you have a good connection path and you then need to look at
authentication problems.
--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com