[Ti] encoding video

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Fri May 19 05:16:34 PDT 2006

On May 19, 2006, at 5:33 AM, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> Is there a better alternative, to put a 1Gb program on to a CD-RW?
> Should I do it in 2 stages, using some other Export option in
> QuickTime Pro?

I record to raw DV which takes 13 GB/hr of space when recording (with
AlchemyTV), then encode the video to the iPod format - H.264.
(MPEG-4 Part 10)  The file is much smaller using H.264 (approx 300 MB/
hr of content) and a two hour movie easily fits on a CD-R.

The quality is excellent - I play my recorded movies on our 60" big
screen TV with my Mac mini and visitors can't tell the difference
between the recordings and the broadcast-quality digital cable that
it was recorded from.
--
Chris