[Ti] OT: ADSL in Europe

Dr Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Wed May 24 09:14:59 PDT 2006

On 24 May 2006, at 01:26, Tarik Bilgin wrote:

> On 23 May 2006, at 20:43, David DelMonte wrote:
>
>> However, I cannot get my phone to work. I've tried splitters and
>> filters.
>
> What do you hear when you pick up your phone? What kind of phone
> are you using?
>
> Tarik

David - here in Saudi Arabia (not Europe, we know, but is your issue
really a European one?) I have a wire from the telephone socket on
the wall to a splitter I bought for $3.  One output goes to my
Linksys wireless router, the other to my $5 made-in-China 100-
functions that I don't need phone.  The phone was working immediately.

My approach to fixing things:

1. do you have the correct components ?
2. is the set up correct?
2. Are all the connections good?
4. Are all the components working?

1. For example, do you have an analogue or a digital phone?
     In Geneva, I have a DSL phone directly in to the ISDN box, but
here I have an analogue phone.  Tarik has a good question: do you
hear anything?
2. The setup with ADSL is as simple as described above
3. just check.......
4. Use a substitution approach: does your phone work on the ADSL
system in the shop (to see if it is your setup)?
      Have you got another phone you can try (in case it is your phone)?

As usual, a problem can be solved, once we know what  exactly the
problem is.  A systematic step by step approach can get to that
problem definition.

hth,

Trevor