[Ti] Wireless/National/Email/Internet/Ti/Macbook

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue May 30 09:05:54 PDT 2006

On May 30, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Raymond J. Mas wrote:

> I have a similar, somewhat related question. Next month our family
> is going
> to visit Grandma in FL. She has no internet connection (or a
> computer for
> that matter). What are my options for connecting my PowerBook to the
> internet? Are there any WiFi services available? I don't need a
> permanent
> connection, as I seldom travel. But I do need to keep in touch with
> work,
> and I'd like to do it from her house.

If you want to do it from her house, then you will have to use dialup
unless you can detect a neighbor's open base station. Check with your
ISP to see what national dialup arrangements they have. It may
require charges for long distance or 800 service, but often many do
it for no additional charge.

Dialup works OK for email if you set things up ahead of time. Make
sure you set to:
1. Don't download attachments automatically
2. Disable filtering temporarily (so you don't copy the messages to
local mailboxes)

You'll need permission to tie up the phone, but when I'm a guest, I
usually do things once a day late at night when it doesn't matter.

Outside her house, there are likely several WiFi hotspots available.
All the coffee places now have them, though Dunn Brothers is the only
one I know that gives it for free. Any hotel has it, though it is
likely pricey at $10/day. Often libraries have free WiFi now.

I think there are services with national WiFi networks, but you have
to subscribe beforehand and I'm not familiar with their terms. A
Google search should turn some things up.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com