[Ti] Firewire vs. USB 2.0

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Tue Nov 28 04:29:03 PST 2006

on 06/11/27 19:54, Don at ds1000309 at uid.onemain.com wrote:

> I have had a 20G firewire Firelite drive for use with my Ti book and it
> has been very dependable.

My Firelite was dependable for a few years, but then two of them "fried" in
2 days.  Actually, the Firewire interface chip inside burned up for some
reason (could smell it a little, upon taking it apart, found a little hole
in the chip).  Smartdisk would not sell me a new controller board, so, now I
use a USB 2.0 enclosure for my backup drive with my new Mac instead of
Firewire.  There are cheaper, seem to be just as fast, and from other
reports I've read on the internet, don't have this problem with "frying"
that may have to do with the 30-volt DC power on the 6-pin Firewire
connector.

But I don't know if they can be made bootable or not.