[Ti] Mac is completely Down (Platinum Powerbook 1g mem)

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Sun Oct 1 09:59:30 PDT 2006

Agree with both Lisbeth and John Griffin on this.

First attempt to fully backup before attempting
to use DiskWarrior. I am not a huge fan of
TechTool Pro except for identifying hardware
issues but couldn't and wouldn't try without
DiskWarrior. After Apple's Disk First Aid, a and
then a separate DVD boot disk repair, DiskWarrior
is the next arrow out of the quiver. It has
*always* fixed every problem that other software
utilities couldn't. It needs to be run off any
firewire connected Mac or bootable DVD for your
Mac.

Granted, I am ALWAYS fully backed up with
scheduled daily/nightly mirror backups of all my
systems. "What's the difference between a car
crash and a HD crash? With a HD crash, you know
you're dead!"  I learned a valuable lesson after
a close call with a HD failure. Years ago,
(Nov.1988) when a 60MB SuperMac external SCSI
drive (yes that was 60MB not GB) started acting
flaky and had to return it for warranty coverage.
The drive via a Mac SE (with two floppy drives)
had been religiously and fully backed up with the
use of *85* floppy disks. Well, it had grown to
85 floppies (800K disks) with its dynamic sized
backup. I used an early DiskFit program which was
a forerunner to Retrospect. The warranty SuperMac
drive returned completely replaced, formatted and
devoid of *any* of my previous data. I sat down
and ran DiskFit and fully restored the HD with
those 85 (800K) floppies. That close brush with
disaster forever burned the backup - BACKUP
mantra into my mind. Also realized how fortunate
I was with not one floppy failing when needed.
And we all remember how notoriously unreliable
floppies could be. I did use Sony and TDK
floppies and they were the best quality of the
day.

If you can't backup or don't have access to
serious and more expensive data recovery
software. Don't erase (reformat) your drive
without using DiskWarrior. As many of us know it
creates a new directory and doesn't attempt to
fix the old one. It is marvelous software from
Alsoft. http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/ read
the reviews on their site and directions for use.

Apologize about the "memory lane" backup story
but got feeling melancholy. Must be the approach
of fall.

And finally... Good Luck!
Rod