[Ti] Mac is completely Down (Platinum Powerbook 1g mem)

David DelMonte ddelmonte at mac.com
Sun Oct 1 11:32:04 PDT 2006

I'm in the same place as you Rod. Last week I lost three hard drives.
I have a UPS device but something happened - I have no idea what.
BUT. I was not only backed up once but several times. However these
days, I have the following things to add to your comments.

1, One backup copy is not enough. Sometimes the restore function
crashes the backup copy (notoriously with error -36) and it's easy to
lose a single backup.

2. Files are getting bigger and bigger. I'm at the point where 300GB
drives are not big enough for my multimedia data and backup is taking
the form of putting chunks of data in different places. (The all eggs
in one basket principle comes to mind).

3. I have to remember that while my wife and I have separate desktop
machines, we share a powerbook, and the number of times we tread on
each other is a pain. In the latest catastrophe, we lost four days of
her email. Still stings even if I got the rest back.

4. I find it helpful to have a printed checklist of file locations
and backup strategies.

That's all. Now to plug everything in at once and see what happens.

David