[Ti] Mac is completely Down (Platinum Powerbook 1g mem)

David DelMonte ddelmonte at mac.com
Fri Oct 6 07:03:28 PDT 2006

Error -36 seems to be related to system cache and occurs when large
scale transfers (>40GB) are made over daisy chained firewire drives.
The reason I said "notorious" is that when I called Applecare, the
tech support guy immediately knew the problem and explained how to
avoid it.

When it occurs (it is btw, an I/O error), it can hurt the source
files as well as the target files, as I found out to my chagrin.

Now I keep two copies of stuff. When you have extremely large files,
that becomes an expensive proposition. The error can occur using any
form of copy, including SD, Carbon Copy Cloner and Finder.

I'm glad it hasn't happened to you.

I did have enough backup so that I could recover, but I've spent more
on drives than I have on computers.

One more thing. All drives are tested with both disk utility and
drive genius. All permissions are kept current.

David