[Ti] 17" MacBook Pro and Firewire

David Ferleger david at ferleger.com
Fri Oct 20 18:20:48 PDT 2006

Need help ASAP!
Using MacBook Pro 17" with OS 10.4.8. Disk permissions are OK. And
(at least before just now) Disk Utility REPAIR from a second computer
showed it OK (after repairing a minor volume info file).

After that Disk Utility repair with the 17" as Target Drive, I left
and returned 1 1/2 hrs later. 17" had not been plugged in. Started
up. Battery was Zero. Booted up fine with AC charger.

THEN.....
1. external LaCie HD plugged in by either Firewire 400 or 800, DID
NOT SHOW ON DESKTOP, though I can feel the vibrations of the disk
when touching it.
2. Disk Utility FREEZES without showing ANY disks existing. Have to
Force Quit to leave it.
3. System Profiler shows my computer data, BUT the Firewire
selection, also Freezes, showing nothing, and have to Force Quit
System Profiler too.
4. Email and internet work fine.

Answer here or privately.

David Ferleger