[Ti] Airport to Belkin set up

Scott Strehlow strehlow at usermail.com
Mon Sep 18 19:07:51 PDT 2006

Hi Mickey,

>  I have the Mac as my network hub...

By this, I assume that you mean you get a net connection when your Mac
is plugged into the hub/switch or router, and not that the Mac IS the
hub.  Is that correct?

> According to the docs for my system it is supposed to have the airport
> card.

Click on the Apple in the menu bar.  Choose "About this Mac".  Click
the "More Info..." button.  When System Profiler comes up, click on the
Airport Card item under the Hardware category.  If this is not listed,
then you don't have one.  If you do, check the Wireless Channel number
and make sure it agrees with the router.  In most cases it will be
channel 11.

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 router with firmware 4.03.03.  My TiBook is a
500MHz with the stock Airport card (802.11b) firmware version  9.52.  I
had the net set up with my wife's Compaq before I got a Mac, and it was
using 802.11g so when I added mine, I had to set the router to work
with "b" and "g" networks.  I had previously had it set to use strictly
"g" for better net performance.

If System Profiler says yours is an Airport Extreme, then you can use
"g" otherwise you must use "b".  If you must use "b" and the Dell can
use "g" then verify that your router is set to work on both.  The
setting (on mine at least) is at http://192.168.2.1/wireless_chan.html
(substitute your router's IP address, if different).

Also make sure the encryption settings are compatible.  Are you
broadcasting your SSID?  This will make it easier to establish a
connection.  I use WPA-PSK, TKIP but I needed to upgrade the firmware
in the router and get the latest Airport drivers to use it.  If either
your Mac or the router won't support WPA (and if it cannot be upgraded)
then make sure both are using at least WEP.

Also, check that the router is not restricted to connections from
certain MAC addresses.  Restricting MACs and hiding the SSID provide
only marginal extra security for most networks, but significantly
increases the fuss in connecting a new machine.

Go grab a copy of iStumbler at http://www.istumbler.net/   This is a
donate-ware wireless LAN diagnostic program that can help you find
WLANS and also help sort out Bluetooth communications problems.  It is
quite handy.

Cheers,

Scott