[Ti] 2 q's: vi and make

P. H. Adams phadams at mac.com
Thu Apr 5 22:17:15 PDT 2007

> Do I need X Developer to use make or configure?

Yes, the developer tools install gcc and related files which give you
the ability to compile source files.

> And how can I get vi to open?

just type 'vi' on the command line (in Terminal) and it should open.
OS X installs vim (vi improved) by default, so launching vi will
actually launch vim. You can also type 'vi filename' (no quotes) to
open vi with a new file entitled 'filename'. Change your filename as
appropriate.

If you've never used vi before, you might get frustrated initially --
it has a pretty steep learning curve. I recommend doing a search for
a tutorial online (or doing the built-in vim tutorial) before you
start doing any heavy-duty editing.

Patch