[Ti] Fans problems

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Mon Feb 26 01:36:03 PST 2007

On 25 Feb 2007, at 01:43, Timothy D. Naegele wrote:

> Beginning about two days ago, a fan in my Ti 800 has been producing
> a low-level whirling sound, after I have used the laptop for a
> while and the heat begins to build.  Everything had been working
> perfectly, which has been true for a long time now, ever since
> Apple replaced the hard drive and CD-ROM drive.

Are you sure this isn't the (normally silent) fan getting loud and
audible when it speeds up in order to deal with the build up of heat?
That's certainly what happens with my Powerbook 1.67.

However, if the sound is something different to what you would
normally expect (very whiney for example) there may be a problem. In
my experience fan issues are usually related to a hanging cable or
something else within the computer (usually unlikely in a notebook)
hanging down on to the fan itself and hitting the fan as it rotates,
or due to excessive dust within the fan mechanism itself. You won't
know until you open her up however.
--
Tarik