[Ti] [OT?] Macworld keynote

Mel Krewall mkrewall at charter.net
Tue Jan 9 20:14:10 PST 2007

As profitable as the iPod is, it still accounts for less than half
Apple's gross sales. If the iPhone is a huge hit, perhaps that will
no longer be true, but computer hardware still accounts for a huge
portion of Apple's sales and profit. It would be very difficult to
replace and if Apple sold off the hardware business, what would
become of OS X? Why would any company (especially IBM, who just got
out of the desktop/laptop Intel hardware business) want a premium
price (relatively) Intel box business? Steve Jobs once said that
Apple computers are great "because we make the whole widget." If that
were no longer true, I would probably no longer be interested in
them, and I suspect many others would have the same reaction.

As a stockholder, I like the idea that Apple continues to create
compelling products that drive more sales to their core line (iPod
halo effect, anyone?). I don't think they will be in a rush to get
out of the computer business that is right now growing faster than in
almost any time in the history of the company.
Just my $.02,
Mel

"Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured
by the occasional miracle."
~ Anonymous