[Ti] [OT?] Macworld keynote

rob morris rob.morris at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 06:36:14 PST 2007

From: John Griffin <jwegriffin at mac.com>
Subject: Re: [Ti] [OT?] Macworld keynote

Interesting that no computer products were shown. Just as interesting is
that Apple is changing its name from Apple Computer to Apple Inc.

Does anyone else see a trend here?

I gaze into my crystal ball and I see Apple getting right out of the
computer business, selling off the whole division and becoming a media
company period. After all, it hasn't really been the most profitable part of
the business for quite awhile. Perhaps Dell or HP might be interested...or
IBM?

I do not see Apple getting out of their core computer business.  It has led
to an enormous amount of cash in the bank, iPod sales are just a small
percentage of Apple¹s total sales and profits, the computer market share is
growing, even Jobs mentioned that close to half of the folks buying macs
now, in apple stores, are new users, etc etc etc.

The airport base was updated, although not mentioned in the keynote, and I
believe that there will be many more new announcements coming soon.
I am not sure why anyone would think that apple would sell off their
computer business...the name change is or reflect the broader scope of
Apple¹s business, all of which compliment each other.

The iTV, although not a direct computer product, is all about connecting
your TV to your computer...so why would Apple even consider selling off the
other half of this equation?

Good year ahead. Good moves by Apple.