[Ti] Flash Drive for VM?

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Thu Jan 11 06:39:19 PST 2007

On 11 Jan 2007, at 15:25, Ian Collier wrote:

> On Thursday, January 11, 2007, at 01:39PM, "Dr. Trevor J. Hutley"
> <TrevorHutley at consultant.com> wrote:
>>
>> 			Is it possible to put Mac OS X virtual memory (VM) files on a
>> flash drive, to speed up our Powerbooks ?
>
> But in that case why not just put in more RAM - and avoid needing
> VM in the first place?

Ian - that is another question, not an answer ....	:-)

To answer your question:

My Al-book has 1Gb RAM at the moment, and I can increase it to 2 Gb max.
My VM is currently running at 8.32 Gb.

So there is no way I can ever put (let alone afford) enough RAM to
eliminate VM.

My idea was that maybe the VM can be moved to a 4Gb flash drive to
speed things up.

What I am not sure about is how the OS would handle more VM (eg the
current 8+ Gb) than the (4Gb) drive has capacity for...

Just exploring what is possible, what the limit is.

Trevor